Thursday, March 17, 2011

More Deathwing love. Must resist the urge.

So I'm definitely tempting the heck out of myself in my last month in the US. I know that I have various costs ahead of me (travel, teaching course, renting an apt in Europe etc) yet I can't stop the desire for a sweet looking Deathwing army.

The good thing (sort of) is that I will be including Grey Knight terminators in the army and they aren't even release until the beginning of April, when I will be too busy preparing to move to even consider buying plastic crack. Also, buying GW models in the UK is cheaper than over here, even paying with $. For example, a box of terminators ($50) from the Warstore will sell for $40 yet I can buy from Wayland Games at a discount in pounds and the boxes come out to around $35. Sadly GW seems to price the US models on an exchange rate of around 2:1, which we haven't seen for some time.

In the meantime though, I'm just sourcing various lovely Deathwing models from which to take inspiration when the time comes I can actually start my army.

Here is a particularly awesome rendition of a Deathwing captain by the talented Scibor. If you look around you'll find many of his/her sculpts for 40k models and they have the same intensely sharp detailing and creativity. I am in no way able to recreate this but I will be happy if I can get some good hoods and robes going on my terminators.



Here are some really nicely modelled Deathwing terminators. Can annybody identify the parts of the leader model? I see Marneus Calgar's body and I suspect the belt-fed bolter is part of the Marneus figure too but the hands and the sword look different. Thoughts?

Pete

5 comments:

  1. The sword looks like one from the old Grey Knight models (as in really old - late 80s/early 90s).

    I'll do some research and find out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was thinking. The head looks like the one from the original terminator captain who also had a grenade launcher on his power fist (called a power glove back then).

    I'm sure I can emulate this nicely with the new Grey Knights models and the multitude of force weapons on the sprue but I quite like the layout of this figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...Stuff of Legends (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2018smgreyknightterminator-h.htm) says no, that's not the old Grey Knight sword.

    I reckon the head is the one from the space marine tactical squad with hair added - the old Terminator Captain's head is set well into the body and would be difficult to get out in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could well be sir, tough to say. I guess that's part of the fun of converting. I'm trying to decide how I'm going to make my Belial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. white dwarf released the models conversion in one of there mags a ways back. you are right though calger was one of the parts

    ReplyDelete