Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Harbinger part 2 - the base plus my first completed figure sculpt.

Hey everyone,

So I've been working on my Harbinger of Menoth for a few hours on and off now. I've primed and started painting her but that isn't really worth showing in my view. I took the radical move to simplify things massively by not using the three acolytes. It's not necessarily a final decision but it really has made it easier to just get started and not worry about the difficulty of assembling 4 models, 2 robe swirls and 3 tiny chains on a 50mm base.

To make up for this, I decided to liven up the base. Using procreate putty, I sculpted out flagstones as though it was a temple floor and painted them up. The two symbols are sculpted and painted to represent the Menoth holy symbol (a kind of cross/ankh) and I added a golden plate with some squiggles to look like carving/writing. I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out and I may do this with future bases as it wasn't too hard and really looks neat.




In other news, I finished sculpting my first complete miniature. This one was made from the ground up (literally, I started at the base) and is made around a paperclip wire attached to a regular 25mm base. Basically he's a knife and pistol wielding, gas mask wearing chap who I think would fit in well with the Nuclear Renaissance setting. The photo isn't very good but I sent to it Curtis at Ramshackle Games to see if he's interested. If all goes well, this chap might end up being available in resin someday.

3 comments:

  1. So, I was all excited to see the finished mini...and he's completely out of focus! MORE PICTURES!

    @The Harbinger: From the looks of the official picture, and your WIP assembly, it looks like you could always add the acolytes later. I kind of like the idea of it being some rogue being infused with power and it's own will that has to be held down, lest it wonder off destroying something you don't want it to.

    Without the chains, I imagine she'll look something more along the lines of "I am powerful and will destroy you!", sort of more willful than wandering incarnation of power.

    No idea what the lore is behind her. This is all the subtext I get from the model, which I think is really cool :)

    Looking forward to the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm really annoyed at the photos. It looks so much better in focus. It's not forge world quality but I'm pleasantly suprised at how well I pulled it off in the end. I will try to do some better photography when I get a chance.

    Maybe outside would be better so I can use the daylight and build a little backdrop of white paper or the like.


    W.R.T the harbinger, I definitely can figure out whether I'm going to add the acolytes later. You make a good point about the different vibe that each way of making it generates. I'll see how it works out as I continue. Having made this funky base now doesn't help as I want to show off my temple flooring underfoot ;-)

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. That base is awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product. Also more picture of your sculpt please!

    ReplyDelete